Last Christmas my sister gifted me with a bunch of essential oils along with a booklet on their various uses, and while I was highly skeptical of the efficacy of a lot of the recipes, the one describing a green tea and essential oil face toner intrigued me. I decided to give it a try. I have a hard time regulating the dryness of my skin during the winter months since the prolonged use of moisturizers usually results in breakouts. I have, for years, been looking for something to balance out my skin. Ironically, I seem to have found it in this simple homemade face toner. I have been using it since January, and am currently on my second batch.
Green tea acts as the base for this toner, along with some tea tree oil as a gentle cleanser, and lemongrass oil as a natural astringent.
- 2 cups of strongly brewed Green Tea
- ~ 20 drops of Tea Tree Oil
- ~ 15 drops of Lemongrass Oil
- Combine the essential oils with the green tea. I do this by funneling the green tea into the bottle I am planning on storing my toner in, carefully dropping in my essential oils, sealing the bottle, and gently shaking the ingredients together.
- Test the toner on one of your wrists, before using it on your face, to make sure that your skin doesn’t have a bad reaction to any of the oils.
- Use the toner daily by pouring a little of it out onto a cotton ball or pad and running it gently over your face.