I have been experimenting with combining lemon and cornmeal. I have an excellent lemon cornmeal cake recipe, that has yet to make an appearance on this blog, but since then, I’ve been looking for a cookie matchup for this combination. In my latest attempt, I’ve crafted a lemon and cornmeal spin off of a snickerdoodle. These cookies have a light, melt in your mouth, buttery texture, underlined with a slightly chewy cornmeal crunch, and a bright lemon flavor – What more could you want?
Recipe makes ~24 cookies.
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 8oz) Butter (room temp.)
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar + 1/4 cup Sugar for dusting
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 cup Cornmeal
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 lemons (I used Meyer, but regular lemons are fine too)
- Preheat oven 350 F (~177 C).
- Cream together the butter and the sugar.
- Beat in the egg, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add the cornmeal to the dry ingredients.
- Combine the wet with the dry until fully integrated.
- Grease or line baking sheets.
- Roll the dough into inch sized balls.
- Dredge the dough balls in the remaining sugar.
- Arrange the balls on the cookie sheet leaving plenty of space for growth.
- Bake for ~ 8 minutes.