I am one of those strange people who find most packaged ginger teas too strong, and prefer to turn to the mellower flavors of fresh ginger root when steeping my tea. The spicy bite is still there, but it is smoothed out by the softer ginger flavors. I find that there is something indulgently romantic about creating and brewing your own herbal teas out of fresh ingredients.
- Boil your tea water.
- Scald your tea pot.
- Arrange your fresh ingredients in the tea pot. I enjoy varying combinations of the below ingredients. Experiment, and pick and choose your own favorite combination.
- thin slices Ginger Root (Ginger has several heath benefits including improved digestion)
- thin slices of Orange
- thin slices of Lemon
- a Cinnamon Stick (not so fresh, but a tasty addition)
- Star of Anise or Anise Seeds (also not so fresh, but good)
- fresh Mint
- Lemon Verbena
- thin slices of pear
- Pour boiling water into the tea pot.
- Allow the tea to steep for about 5 minutes.
- Serve by pouring the tea directly into your tea cups or pour the tea through a small strainer if your tea ingredients are too small.