I was flipping through December’s Food & Wine magazine, came across a recipe for Black Bean and Chorizo Soup, and thought why not? Although the recipes did seem a little subpar, I thought that it would be a good change to my current favorite Black Bean Soup recipe. As things go, I was opening the package of chorizos (unfortunately, there is a lack of quality chorizo in Vermont) and found yet another Black Bean and Chorizo Soup recipe on the packaging. The recipe below is a spin off of both the Food & Wine recipe and the one found on the chorizo package.
- 8 oz diced Chorizo
- 1 diced Onion
- 2 minced Cloves of Garlic
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 tbsp Cooking Sherry
- 1 tsp ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground Coriander
- 16 oz of canned or presoaked Black Beans
- juice of 1 Lime
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped Cilantro
- Heat the olive oil in the bottom of a stew pot.
- Brown the chorizo in the bottom of the pot.
- Add the onions and the garlic.
- Cook the onions until slightly transparent.
- Deglaze the pan slightly with the sherry.
- Add the cumin, coriander, and lime juice.
- Add the black beans.
- Add the chicken broth.
- Bring the soup to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Continue to cook the soup for at least another 30 -45 minutes.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper right before serving.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro right before serving.
Garnish Soup with:
- Sour Cream
- sliced Avocado
- toasted Corn Tortillas
- wedges of Lime
- Jalapeño slices
- favorite Hot Sauce