I have a hard time rolling up corn tortillas and getting them to stay together during the baking process. But corn tortillas have a great taste, with the added benefit of being gluten free. The recipe below is my enchilada/corn tortilla compromise.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 3 pre-cooked, diced Chicken Breasts
- 3 sliced Scallions
- 4 oz sliced Black Olives
- 8 oz Sour Cream
- 8 oz shredded Cheese
- 2 cups Enchilada Sauce
- 18 – 20 Corn Tortillas
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Combine the chicken, scallions, black olives, and sour cream in a bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Grease a 9″ x 13″ baking dish that is at least 2″ high.
- Spoon a thin layer of enchilada sauce across the bottom of the baking dish.
- Lay a single layer of tortillas over it (~6 tortillas).
- Spoon half of the chicken filling evenly across the tortillas.
- Sprinkle, on top of the chicken layer, a third of the cheese.
- Lay out another layer of tortillas. Press down gently to decrease the space between layers, and even out the chicken filling.
- Add the rest of the chicken filling.
- Sprinkle another third of the cheese.
- Lay out the final layer of tortillas.
- Gently pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the top layer of tortillas. It should seep down into the casserole.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes.