Healthy, easy, and fresh, turkey kofta are a summer favorite in my family – spiced turkey meatballs tucked into a warm and toasty pita alongside of fresh garden vegetables, creamy hummus, and pickled red onions – what’s not to like? This is a Americanized version of a Middle Eastern classic.
Ingredients for Turkey Kofta:
- 1 lb. Ground Turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped Parsley
- 1 Onion
- 1 tsp ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- a dash of ground Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground White Pepper Corns
- In a food processor combine the onions, parsley, and spices. Blend them until uniformly combined.
- Add the turkey into the food processor and then continue to pulse until combined.
- Use your hands to form the turkey mixture into 10 oval shaped kofta. Traditionally you would then place the kofta onto kababs for grilling. I have done this in the past with messy and frustrating results. I have found that it is easier to just place the kofta directly onto the grill and then gently move them around with a fork or tongs. Your choice, but either way I am getting ahead of myself.
- Place your kofta in the refrigerator for a few hours before grilling. This will allow for the flavors to meld and there forms to solidify slightly. I usually prepare my kofta in the morning, and then pull them out later that night for dinner.
- Grill your kofta. This can be a little tricky, and does take some practice since the kofta can be fairly delicate.
- This is one of those flexible meals where people can pick and choose how they want to eat their kofta. Serve your kofta in fresh, warm pita with a selection of: