Well, I am still on my strawberry kick, and when I was asked to bring dessert to a dinner party earlier this week, this is what I came up with. I love a good fruit crisp, but have never actually made one with strawberries. I intended to bake a strawberry-rhubarb crisp, but I couldn’t find any rhubarb in the market. Too early in the season, I guess. Anyways, I am chalking this one up as a success. Simple, but exquisite, and the weather is finally warm enough (above freezing, with no snow on the ground) to brake-out the vanilla ice cream – the perfect complement to any warm, freshly baked fruit crisp.
- 1 lb. hulled and halved Strawberries
- 1 cup Strawberry Jam
- 2 cups Oats
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) melted Butter
- Preheat the oven to 375 F (~190 C).
- Grease a baking dish.
- Toss the strawberries in the jam, and spread them out evenly across the bottom of the baking dish.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the dry ingredients, and then stir them until they begin to lump together.
- Spoon out the crisp topping evenly over the layer of strawberries.
- Bake the crisp for 45 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown and the strawberry juices have begun to bubble up from underneath.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- Leftover crip is a great breakfast treat. Just give it a splash of milk and enjoy.