Growing up during the Great Depression my grandmother, Lila, was raised on thrifty, economical cooking. The recipe below is one of those thrifty recipes that has survived being passed down through the decades due to its subtle, fresh flavors and easy preparation.
This is not a recipe for traditional pickles, but a recipe for a fresh cucumber salad with a vinegar dressing that stores well in the refrigerator. It is a great way to keep up with eating your garden cucumbers without having to go through the process of canning them. I take my weekly cucumber harvest, and make a large vat of these which will then last me throughout the rest of the week.
- 4-5 pickling sized Cucumbers
- 1/2 sliced Yellow Onion
- 1/4 cup Vinegar (white or red wine vinegar)
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 cups Water
- Placed your sliced cucumbers, and onions in a large sealable container. A glass bowl with a lid works best.
- Sprinkle the sugar and salt over the cucumbers.
- Pour the vinegar into the bowl followed by the water. The water should cover most of the cucumbers.
- Place the salad in the refrigerator for a couple of hours (or overnight) before serving. The salad can be kept in the refrigerator for up to a week.