Here’s another one of my imaginative spring roll combinations. We’ve still got the basic veggies, but alongside them we have some Italian inspired additions including a spicy Soppressata, some fresh, creamy mozzarella, and a fragrant hint of basil. Another refreshing summer time snack!
- Spring Roll Wrappers
- thinly sliced Soppressata
- sliced Fresh Mozzarella
- sliced Avocado
- Cucumber cut into small batons
- grated Carrots
- Italian Vinaigrette
- Make sure you have all your veggies sliced, and mise en place ready before you start assembling your spring rolls.
- Fill a shallow dish with water. You want it large enough to be able to submerge your spring roll wrappers in it.
- Submerge your spring roll wrappers in the water for a few seconds – until it’s softens enough to bend but hasn’t gotten too sticky. It might take you a few tries to get the feel for it, but it’ll come to you with practice. The wrapper will also continue to soften as you work with it so keep that in mind.
- Lay the wrapper out on a clean surface, a large cutting board or a plastic plate is great.
- Carefully arrange your basil, Soppressata, mozzarella, and veggies into a small rectangle centered two thirds of the way down your wrapper.
- I placed a single basil leaf on the bottom.
- The Soppressata covering the basil.
- The mozzarella at the center.
- Two small slices of avocado embracing the slice of mozzarella.
- The carrots resting the mozzarella.
- The cucumber batons resting on top.
- Draw the sides tight over the shorter edges of the rectangle to overlap slightly in the middle. Think of it almost like wrapping a burrito.
- Pull the shorter end of the wrapper tightly over the rectangle.
- Roll the rectangle till the rest of the wrapper has been sealed over. Again, think burrito. This is also one of those skills that gets better with practice.
- Drizzle with vinaigrette, and enjoy!