Recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Butter (room temp) + 6 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Powdered (Confectionary) Sugar
- 1/4 cup Maraschino Cherry Syrup
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 cup diced Maraschino Cherries
- 12 oz Simi-Sweet Chocolate
- Cream together, in a large bowl, 1 cup butter and 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
- Add the 1/4 cup cherry syrup reserved from the maraschino cherry jar.
- Beat in the salt and gradually add in the flour.
- Stir in the diced cherries.
- The dough will be very soft and sticky – it will need some time in the refrigerator. Place half of the dough on a long piece of wax. Spread and form the dough into a flat log. Repeat this with the second half of dough on another piece of wax paper.
- Place the dough logs in the refrigerator for several hours or even overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the dough log into individual cookies about 1/4″ thick. You might have to dust your knife in flour between uses if the dough is sticking.
- Place the cookies on parchment lined or greased cookie sheets. Give the cookies a little space, they will grow slightly.
- Bake the cookies for about 20 minutes.
- These cookies can be a little brittle so be careful as they cool and you transfer them off of the cookies sheets.
- Place the chocolate and 6 tbsp of butter in a double boiler to melt together.
- Once the chocolate has melted, grab a butter knife and gently spread a layer of chocolate along the backside of the shortbread cookies.
- Lay the chocolate coated cookie, chocolate-side up to dry.