I was scrounging around this weekend for a portable, vegan-friendly, nut-free breakfast treat, and these vegan apple pop-tarts were what I was able to come up with – a spiced homemade apple sauce filling, with a orange-zest flavored pastry dough, coated in a lemon drizzle.
Apple Sauce Filling
- 6-8 Apples – skinned, quartered, and core removed
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice
- 2 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground Cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground Allspice
- dash of Salt
- Place all of the above ingredients in a large sauce pan, and bring to boil.
- Continue to cook until the apples begin to become mushy. Add small amounts of water if the apples begin to get to dry.
- Mash the apples with a potato masher or run them through a food mill or food processor.
- Allow the apple sauce to cool fully before using it to fill the pop-tarts. I usually stick it in the refrigerator overnight.
Vegan Pop-tart Dough
- 1 cup Vegetable Shortening
- 3 cups Flour
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- Iced Water
- zest from 1 orange
- 1 tsp Salt
- Stir together the flour, sugar, salt, and orange zest.
- Use a pastry cutter to cut the shortening into the dry ingredients.
- Once the dough starts to come together into pea-sized clumps, use a tablespoon to ladle about 8 tbsp of iced water into the dough. The water should bring the dough together. Add more water, a couple tablespoons at a time, until the dough comes together. The dough should be smooth, cool, and dry to touch, not sticky.
Making the Pop-tarts:
- Flour for rolling and dusting (use sparingly)
- Maple Syrup
- Cinnamon Sugar (combine 3 parts sugar for 1 part cinnamon)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (177 C).
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divid the dough in half, and store the half you are not working with in the refrigerator.
- Roll out the dough to 1/8″ thickness.
- Use a knife to cut the dough into uniform rectangles (~2.5″ x 4″), you might need to use a ruler as a guide.
- Transfer your rectangles onto the baking sheets.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of the apple filling onto the center of each rectangle.
- Roll out the second half of dough, and cut out a matching set of rectangles.
- Cover each filling heaped rectangle with one of your newly rolled rectangles.
- Use a fork to crimp the edges of each pop-tart, sealing the apple filling inside.
- Bush the tops of each pop-tart lightly with maple syrup, and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Use a sharp knife to cut three small slashes into the tops of each pop-tart.
- Bake for about 40 minutes.
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed Lemon Juice
- Stir together the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Make sure to get rid of the clumps. If the glaze seems too dry add a little bit more lemon juice, and if it seems too wet add a little more powdered sugar.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled pop-tarts, and allow it to dry.
One Comment Add yours
Looks so delicious and mouthwatering!
LikeLiked by 1 person