Baked apple oatmeal is my breakfast friendly version of apple crisp. With reduced fat and sugar, and more oats, I scoop a portion of this into my cereal bowl each morning, give it a quick zap in the microwave to heat it up, and pour milk over it for a highly satisfying start to the day. I’d also recommend eating it cold with a few slices of sharp cheddar cheese.
- 4 – 5 peeled and sliced Apples or a quart of Apple Sauce (homemade is best, that way you can control the level of sweetness and spice)
- 3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour (for a great gluten free alternative grind up a few oats into a flour)
- 4 cup Oats
- 1/2 – 1 cup Brown Sugar (if you are using sweetened apple sauce a 1/2 cup of sugar should be plenty, but if you are using a tarter variation of fresh apples you may want to coat them in a 1/2 cup sugar and a pinch of spices before incorporating them into the dish)
- 1/4 cup melted Butter
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Cloves
- 1/2 tsp Allspice
- Preheat the oven to 375 F (~191 C).
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- Arrange the apples or apple sauce evenly along the bottom of the baking dish.
- Stir the dry ingredients together.
- Combine the melted butter and orange juice, and pour it over the dry ingredients.
- Stir the mixture until the ingredients start to come together into small crumbs. If the mixture is to dry add a little more orange juice until it is wet enough to clump.
- Use your hands to crumble the mixture over the apples.
- Bake for about 45 minutes.