The Delicate seems to be the new favorite Autumn squash, at least, to US markets. It’s been around the culinary world for several years now, but it just now seems to be picking up steam in the home kitchen and can now be readily be found in commercial grocery stores (although, I still get mine from the local farm stand). It’s light, it’s flavorful, and you don’t have to peel it – what’s not to love! In this recipe I serve it up as a flatbread on a bed of creamy ricotta with caramelized onions and a sprinkling of blue cheese.
- a ball of favorite Pizza Dough
- 1 sliced Onion
- 1 tbsp Butter
- shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Blue Cheese clumps
- Delicate Squash sliced into rounds
- Black Pepper for seasoning
- Preheat oven (with pizza stone if available or overturned baking sheet if not) to 500 F (260 C).
- Melt your butter in a hot skillet, and proceed to cook your onions until caramelized. Slow and stead is the key to great caramelized onions, so take your time.
- Shape your pizza dough.
- Sprinkle a few small blobs of ricotta evenly across the pizza dough.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella evenly over the pizza dough.
- Sprinkle on the caramelized onions.
- Arrange the squash overtop.
- Sprinkle on the blue cheese.
- Finish it off with some black pepper.
- Transfer the flatbread into the oven, and reduce the heat to 450 F (~232 C).
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.