One of my favorite grocery store pizza doughs has beer in it, and below is my astonishingly successful first attempt at trying to recreate it. I was sure that it would take me a few tries to get it right, especially since I was going in blind (pour in a can of beer, dump in the last of my yeast, and add flour until the dough seems dry enough) and I haven’t had much success with pre-vetted and published homemade pizza dough recipes in the past.
The natural sugars and yeast found in the beer aided in developing the gluten and yeast in the pizza dough, and the resulting crust was tasty, crisp, sturdy, and pillowy soft in the middle.
I have found my new favorite pizza dough!
This recipe makes enough dough for two large (9″x13″) pizzas.
- 12 oz Beer (I used a brown ale)
- 5 tsp Yeast
- 1 cup Bread Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1/2 cup Sprouted Wheat Flour
- 2 tsp Salt
- Cornmeal for sprinkling on baking sheets
- Combine the beer and the yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment.
- Add in the flour and then the salt.
- Knead the dough for about 5 minutes.
- Place the dough in a greased container, and allow it to rise for a couple of hours.
- Punch dough down and then knead it by hand for a few minutes until it becomes slightly springy.
- Place the dough back into the greased container, and either store it in the refrigerator until about an hour before you plan to use it or let it rise at room temperature for an hour before rolling out your pizza crust. At this point you can also freeze your dough for future use.
- Roll out your dough and place it on a parchment lined or greased baking sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal. The cornmeal will help the crust bottom stay crisp.
- Add your pizza sauce and toppings.
- Bake at 400 F (~204 C) for 15-20 minutes.
BBQ Chicken Pizza
This recipe was introduced to me by my Aunt Caroline, and is a great way to use up leftover bbq chicken.
- 1 rolled out Pizza Dough
- 1 cup favorite BBQ Sauce
- 12 oz grated Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 of a diced Red Onion
- 2 cups diced BBQ Chicken
- Spoon the BBQ sauce over the pizza dough.
- Sprinkle on the cheese.
- Sprinkle on the onions and chicken
- Bake according to the directions given above.