I made a batch of these bites last week for some election night nibbles, and I realized I haven’t yet shared this recipe with you. I cranked out hundreds of these last year, during the 2019 wedding season, as late night snacks. At this point, I can almost bake them in my sleep! This is aided by the fact that they are ridiculously easy to throw together and bake. The nice thing about making pretzel bites is that you don’t have to actually shape the individual pretzels – game changer! Just roll your dough into a log and chop! chop! It’s a great dough to make ahead of time, and leave in the fridge overnight. You can also make a large batch, and keep them in the freezer until you are ready to bake them. I made an easy honey mustard dipping sauce to serve alongside them. The recipe is also below.
Sourdough Pretzel Bites
Recipe makes ~50 bites.
- 1 cup Sourdough Starter (you can also omit this for regular pretzel bites)
- 2 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp Instant Yeast (you can use Dry Active by activating it in a little bit of the water and sugar before use)
- 1 cup Water
- 3 tbsp Baking Soda
- Coarse Sea Salt for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 424 F (~218 C) and line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper or grease. Hold off on this step if you are resting your dough overnight or freezing your bites.
- Combine the flour, salt, sugar, and yeast.
- Mix in the water and sourdough starter.
- Let the dough rest in the fridge overnight to develop the flavor, or proceed to roll out your dough into long logs (~ 1/2 inch thick).
- Slice the logs into little bit size pieces (~3/4 inch long). At this point you can freeze your pretzel bites if desired.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add 1 tbsp of baking soda into the boiling water followed by a third of the pretzels.
- Once the pretzels float (it happens quickly so be ready), use a slotted spoon to remove them from the water, and set them down on parchment lined or greased baking sheets.
- Sprinkle them with the sea salt.
- Repeat steps 7-9 with the remaining pretzels.
- Bake until golden (~ 8 minutes).
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
- 2 tbsp Mustard
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Cider Vinegar
- Whisk everything together, and then season with salt.