What do you do with a fridge full of stinky kale? This has been my latest brainwave – make spinach artichoke dip, with kale instead of spinach, stick it in a tart shell, and call it a meal. It’s artery-clogging rich, but sooo damn good.
In retrospect, it’s not as unhealthy as it sounds. Because if you divide it up into 8 servings, that’s an ounce of cream cheese and less then one tablespoon of sour cream and mayo per serving. I also used light sour cream and olive oil based mayo. It still tastes ridiculously decadent… and it’s got veggies!
- 1 batch of Pie Dough
- 1 bunch of curly Kale, stems removed
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider
- 12 oz Artichoke Hearts
- 8 oz Cream Cheese (room temp)
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning
- Preheat your oven to 400 F (204 C).
- Roll out your pie dough, transfer it into a tart pan, gently press it into the pan, trim the edges, poke the base with a fork, lay a piece of parchment across the tart casing and weigh it down with dry beans for blind baking.
- Bake your tart shell for ~15 minutes, or until the crust is a pale golden color and is no longer wet.
- Remove from the oven, and set aside to cool, once you have carefully removed the beans and parchment.
- Heat up the apple cider vinegar and apple cider in the bottom of a lidded sauté pan.
- Once things begin to steam, add in the kale, a sprinkle of salt, give it a quick stir, and reseal the pan for a couple minutes.
- Continue to steam-cook the kale until it’s cooked down a bit, but hasn’t started to fully wilt. This only takes a few minutes – remember, the kale will continue to cook in the oven. Set aside when done.
- Pulse together in a food-processor or blender the garlic, cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, milk, and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Fold in the kale and artichoke hearts.
- Spread the filling evenly into the tart shell.
- Sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Reduce oven to 350 F (176 C).
- Bake for ~45 minutes, or until golden brown.