Another use for the Strawberry Rhubarb Compote I made last week, but I can take no creative credit for the following recipe – kudos to Chef Stephen. I stepped into work last week too – “E! I need you to make me some muffins… I want them to be filled with a strawberry rhubarb compote and topped with a pistachio crumb.” So there you have it. I just made them happen. But this is definitely a recipe worth keeping, and I’ll be baking these muffins again in my free-time. Because who can resist a fluffy muffin stuffed with bright, tangy strawberry rhubarb and sprinkled with a delightfully delicate pistachio crumb?
Recipe makes 6 large or a dozen regular sized muffins.
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Butter (melted)
- 1 Egg
- Zest from 1 Lemon
- 1/2 tsp Almond Extract
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup Strawberry Rhubarb Compote
- Pistachio Crumb Topping
- 1/2 cup cold Butter
- 1 cup shelled Pistachios
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1 tsp Almond Extract
- pinch of Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (~177 C).
- Make pistachio crumb.
- In a food processor, pulse the pistachios until finely ground.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, and continue to pulse until the crumb comes together. It should be a beautiful bright green, and fairly uniform throughout.
- Whisk together the butter, milk, egg, lemon zest, almond extract, salt, and sugar.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder.
- Gently fold the mixture together. Don’t over mix. It’s alright to still have a few pockets of flour visible.
- Scoop the muffin batter into greased or lined tins, only filling them 2/3 of the way.
- Use a spoon to make a divot in the middle of each muffin, and fill the divot with the strawberry rhubarb compote.
- Scoop the remaining 1/3 of batter into the muffin tins, covering the compote.
- Sprinkle the pistachio crumb over top.
- Bake for ~15-20 minutes.
One Comment Add yours