Baking muffins is one of my favorite ways to use sourdough starter. The starter helps enrich the flavor without adding to much fat. In fact, I tend to half the amount of butter or oil in my recipes any time I use my sourdough starter. The starter will also give your muffins a great texture with a moist, soft interior and a crisp, crusty exterior.
Recipe makes a dozen regular sized muffins or 6 large muffins.
- 3-4 Apples peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 cup Sourdough Starter
- 1/4 cup melted Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 cup Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground Cloves
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (~177 C).
- Grease your muffin tin.
- Whisk together the starter, butter, vanilla, eggs, and sugar.
- In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients.
- Pour the sourdough, butter mixture into the dry ingredients along with the apples.
- Gently fold in the ingredients. It is all right to still have a few clumps of flour, but you do not want to over mix the muffin batter.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tin.
- Bake for ~ 20 – 30 minutes for small muffins, and ~30 – 40 minutes for larger muffins.