A rustic spinach, egg, and cheese pie that has been baked on the grill. You may be picking up on a pattern here – I will try to grill just about anything during the summer months to cut back on the indoor heat. My spinach plants have also started to take over the garden, and these are the tasty results from having to cut it all back.
- 1 ball of Pie Crust dough
- 2 lb Spinach
- 1 tbsp Butter
- Salt and Pepper
- 5 cloves of pressed Garlic
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 cup grated Cheese (this time around I used an Italian mix that included Mozzarella, Parmesan, Asiago, and Fontina)
- 2 Eggs
- Roll out your pie crust, and place it into an old metal pie dish. When choosing your pie dish keep in mind that the dish will be placed on the grill. Allow the pie crust to hang down over the sides. We will arrange it after the filling has been added.
- In a large sauté pan melt the butter.
- Add the spinach a few handfuls at a time. It will keep cooking down, and we want to remove as much liquid from it as possible.
- Add the pressed garlic into the spinach, and continue to cook the liquid down.
- Season the spinach with the Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, beat the eggs, and season them slightly with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the grill.
- Once the spinach has cooked down sufficiently, remove it from the pan and layer it into the pie crust along with the cheese. Make sure to reserve some cheese for the top of the pie.
- Pour the egg mixture over the spinach filling, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Fold the pie crust edges over, onto the filling.
- Place your pie on the grill. Try to maintain your grill temperature around 350. You want the flame low enough that the pie will be able to cook off any excess liquid by the time that it has been fully cooked, before the pie bottom starts to burn. I grilled my pie for about 25 minutes – until it was a nice golden brown and the egg had fully cooked through.
One Comment Add yours
Rustic and delicious pie, the crust looks incredible and the flavours must be amazing!
LikeLiked by 1 person