Smokey, grilled eggplant tossed in a tangy balsamic glaze crowns this decadent vegetarian flatbread dressed in a thin layer of mascarpone cheese, fresh mozzarella pearls, and sweet cherry tomatoes.
- 1 Eggplant
- 2-3 cloves of Garlic (diced)
- 2 tbsp Balsamic Glaze
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning
- 1 ball of Pizza Dough
- 1/2 cup Mascarpone
- 4 oz fresh Mozzarella balls
- 1/2 pint of Cherry Tomatoes sliced in half
- An hour or two before assembling your flatbreads:
- Grill eggplant over open flames until the skin has blackened and the flesh has cooked through.
- Allow to cool slightly or place into an ice bath.
- Peel off the skin.
- Dice up eggplant flesh.
- Stir the eggplant, garlic, and balsamic glaze together.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Set aside to marinate.
- An hour before baking, preheat your oven to 500 F (~260 C). If you have a pizza-stone or bread-stone place it in the oven before turning it on, if not, place a large upside down baking sheet directly on the oven rack before preheating – this will act as a faux pizza stone.
- This is also a good time to remove your pizza dough from the fridge, and let it rest at room temperature.
- Stretch out your pizza dough, and lay it out on a piece of parchment paper, lining a lip-free or upside down baking sheet.
- Spread the mascarpone evenly out across the dough.
- Sprinkle on the eggplant, garlic, mozzarella, and cherry tomatoes.
- Use the lip-free or upside down baking sheet to slide the flatbread into the oven onto the preheated pizza stone – the parchment paper should stay with the flatbread.
- Reduce the heat to 450 F (~232 C).
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cheese has started to brown.